Human Resource Associate
Human Resource Associate required at CommonLit is a nonprofit EdTech organization dedicated to providing high-quality literacy instruction to low-income students and students of color to prepare them for success in college and careers. We operate a free online reading and writing program, www.commonlit.org, that is used by millions of teachers and students worldwide monthly. We are a quickly growing team of passionate professionals – many of whom are former teachers. Our team is now almost 100 full-time employees spread across ~20 states.
About the Role
CommonLit has grown significantly as an organization over the last couple of years. We are looking for an enthusiastic Human Resource Associate to join our team and help take us through the next stage of growth.
The Human Resource Associate will administer HR functions as a key member of the Operations team, collaborating directly with the Chief of Staff and Human Resource Manager. Responsibilities will include assisting with hiring and interview processes, onboarding and offboarding employees, and administering pay, benefits, and leave. The ideal candidate should be excited to join a fast-growing organization and assist with building new systems and processes.
This job is open to remote candidates (CommonLit is a remote team with a headquarters in DC for optional use), but the team begins work at 9AM EST and keeps an East Coast schedule, with some exceptions.
- Work with the operations team on all components of the recruitment process, which may include recruitment, posting job openings, scheduling interviews, conducting reference and background checks, and preparing offer letters
- Assist with onboarding and offboarding full-time employees
- Collaborate with the Human Resource manager on all facets of the contractor management process, including coordinating with hiring managers on contractor hires and contract renewals; process contractor invoices
- Administer pay, benefits, time and leave, and other employee actions in HR systems
- Assist with compliance related tasks, such as EEO-1 reporting, to ensure compliance with applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations
- Maintain personnel files for employees
- Perform other duties assigned
- A Bachelor’s degree in human resources management, business administration, or related field
- At least 2 years of experience working in the human resources field
- Experience with employee recruitment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal, problem solving, and conflict resolution skills
- Ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
- Experience working in a diverse work environment
- Ability to act with integrity, professionalism, and maintain confidentiality
- $60,000 – $70,000 (commensurate with experience) plus benefits including health care, dental, vision, 401k, and paid time off.
As an equal opportunity employer, CommonLit values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
A nonprofit organization that operates commonlit.org, a free online reading program that serves over 17 million children.